Monday, June 19, 2006

Trophies, Awards And Crowns

Ever since I was a little girl, I've wanted to compete in horse shows. Still at the age of 34, I still feel driven. Honestly, I don't know why.

To be successful in competition, one has to be diligent, spending hours practising, getting fit, fine tuning skills....learning, taking constructive criticism from coaches. And it costs money, lots of it. Hours spent lazily reading by the pool or doing other relaxing things are ...well not very common, and even house work suffers.

When the moment arrives and my horse and I are under the scrutiny of the judge, I tremble with nervous excitement, hoping my trusty mount doesn't mistake it for anxiety and start sidestepping!

When I receive my ribbons and high point awards, I'm happy but realize that they are not my all in all. In fact I question then whether all the hard work and sacrifice was worth it.

Don't get me wrong, I love riding, competing and being with people with similiar interests, but I know there is more, and I won't find it in the show pen or even at the barn.

Last November when I received for the first time in my life, three beautiful trophies, I was reminded that as wonderful as they were, they were nothing compared to the treasure I would have in heaven-if that was in fact where my heart was.

The Apostle Paul said in 2 Timothy 4:8--"Finally, there is laid up for me the crown of righteousness, which the Lord, the righteous Judge, will give to me on that Day, and not to me only but also to all who have loved His appearing."

Our earthly pursuits can bring us a temporary buzz, but I am convinced now that what we do for eternity by God's grace is what really matters. And after we have done all, and stand before Him our righteous Judge, we won't be ashamed, but will be crowned-not because of our good works but because Jesus our Lord and King prepared for us the Way.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home