Thursday, May 04, 2006

Blessed Sleep

Caffeine after 6 PM is bad for me. Went to bed at 11 PM and couldn't fall asleep. All through the night I seemed to be vaguely aware that sleep was escaping me....just because of that warm cup of tea. It wasn't worth the pleasure of drinking it, that's for sure!

There are other nights where sleep seems no where in sight, but there is usually a cause. Sometimes there are aching body parts other times a mind that is so busy thinking that I've seemed to have lost the 'off button'.

Periodically there are high winds that beat against the house and make the shingles flap so loudly that I'd almost prefer listening to my husband's snoring instead. At least when he snores, I don't have to worry about a side of the house getting ripped off.

When worry or anxiety is the root of sleeplessness I like to comfort myself with these two verses, " I will both lie down in peace, and sleep;
For You alone, O Lord, make me dwell in safety." Psalm 4:8
and
"...He gives His beloved sleep." Psalm 127:2

We are His 'beloved'.

And He gives us sleep.

I think I'll write these verses down on a cue card and tape them to my bathroom mirror or in the fridge by the milk, just in case I forget them the next time I can't sleep.

Thank You Lord that You give Your beloved sleep! Thank You that I will both lie down in peace and sleep; For You alone, O Lord, make me dwell in safety. In Jesus' name. Amen!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home