Sunday, April 09, 2006

Settling for Second Best

It was early morning as I walked to the stable to feed the horses. The air was fresh and cool, the sun shone brightly and the birds were everywhere, unable to keep themselves from singing.

Oh it was wonderful to be outside, even if all I saw were shades of brown in the landscape that winter had left behind. I breathed in deeply and grinned with delight as I recalled, "This is the day that the Lord has made..." and its great!

It was then the Lord reminded me how I often settle for second best. Sometimes I do it because I don't know there is something better on its way, and other times it's because of my impatience to wait for what I know is coming.

There are times in this big world, where in my own small space I am filled with such peace and joy, that I can't imagine it ever being better. But then my Lord gently reminds me of something even better that He's been preparing for me, "...in My Father's house are many mansions; if it were not so, I would have told you. I go to prepare a place for you...and I will come again and receive you to Myself; that where I am, there you may be also." John 14:2,3 These are the words of Jesus to all those that put their trust in Him. They remind me that I'm just passing through here in this life and that the real adventure is only yet to start.

I don't plan to settle for what I experience here and now. I'm looking forward to being with Him, seeing the mansion He's built for me and checking out all those white horses mentioned in Revalation 19:14.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home